Thursday, January 21, 2010

Turkey Pesto Burger with Butternut Squash Fries



We've been eating a lot of turkey lately.  I've made quite a few turkey burgers and haven't quite mastered it yet.  They always turn out on the dry side without a lot of flavor.  These turned out pretty yummy because of the pesto I added to the meat before cooking and the feta, spinach, tomato and onions added afterward.  They aren't the greasy burgers that we love to eat (and suffer from later), but I guess if we are going to choose to eat healthy, then these will have to do. 

The fries are made from butternut squash.  I parboiled them first for about 3 minutes.  Then I took them out and dried them off with some paper towels and then tossed them with some olive oil and a spicy herb mixture.  Next, I spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and cooked them at 450 degrees until they got a little charred and crispy. 

My son saw me as I was cutting up the squash and I told him what I was doing.  This was his quote:  "I have never been so unexcited to have french fries!"  He ended up loving them and swore they were sweet potato fries. VICTORY!


No comments:

Post a Comment