Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lemon Berry Bars


I get in the mood to bake.  I have been in this mood a lot lately and this doesn't go well when I am trying to feed my family healthier.  Typically what I do is bake something, give my family one serving of the treat and send the rest to work with my husband. 

These bars were completely delicious!  The guys at my husband's work sang high praises of it, according to my husband. 

I found the recipe at Twopeasandtheirpod.com.  I changed up the crust some due to what I had on hand.  I needed to use up this package of cookies and thought it would be great combined with the graham cracker crumbs.  The results were scrumptious!

                                                

For the crust:

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup Pepperidge Farms Chessman cookies, crushed
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
zest of one lemon

For the filling:

2 lg. egg yolks
1- 14 ounce can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
10 ounces fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker and cookie crumbs, melted butter, sugar and lemon zest.  Stir until crumbs are moist.  Press crumbs into the prepared pan, pressing the crust mixture one inch up the side of the pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. 

Once the crust is cool, combine the egg yolks and condensed milk until well mixed.  Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.  Stir until mixture begins to thicken slightly.  Gently fold in the berries.  Fold carefully so you don't break the berries.

Pour the lemon berry filling evenly over the crust.  Bake for 15 minutes or until set.

Cool to room temperature, then chill for at least one hour before serving.  Cut into bars and serve.  Keep bars in the refrigerator up to five days (if they last that long). 


4 comments:

  1. Yum!! I have an absolute GLUT of blueberries right now and can't find enough to do with them... I think my husband would really love this.

    Thanks for participating in Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very delicious. I love lemon and condensed milk. I hope to try one day. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What heavenly treats! I love the chessman crust! And the berry/lemon combo. I would have to get these out of my sight - so irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so good! I've been making SOOOOOO many desserts lately!! My blog is going to start looking like Debbi Does Desserts!

    ReplyDelete