Sunday, July 10, 2011

Roasted Spiced Nuts


I have not posted in a long time....it's actually been almost a year.  I'm a teacher and during the school year, meals tend to be quick and not blog-worthy.  It's usually something I throw together with no measuring or recipe involved.  I cook something and we eat.  During the summer, I get a little more creative and try new recipes. 

There is something I have been thinking about blogging for quite a few months.  It's a recipe I put together after trying some that I found online - roasted spiced nuts.  This recipe came from my need to use up a supply of almonds and cashews that I had.  I was tired of eating them raw and wanted something sweet and spicy. 

It is a super-simple recipe and can be adapted many different ways with a variety of spices, extracts and nuts.  They are versatile, also.  We eat them as-is, on ice cream, and my favorite, on salads.  My next experiment will be to put them in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. 

Roasted Spiced Nuts

8 cups of nuts (raw, if available)
2 egg whites
1 cup Splenda
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cardomom
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Cover a large cookie sheet with sides with non-stick foil. 

In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and vanilla until foamy. 

In a small bowl, mix the Splenda, brown sugar, salt and spices. 

Add the nuts to the large bowl with the egg whites and mix thoroughly until all the nuts are coated.  Add the sugar, salt and spice mixture and stir gently to coat all the nuts.  Spread the nuts into the pan.  Bake for one hour, stirring every 20 minutes.  Let cool completely and store in air-tight container for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment