Monday, May 31, 2010

Broccoli with Balsamic Caramelized Onions


I am involved in the Sidedish Showdown at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice.  We have been cooking and writing about side dishes that we are creating at home.  You ought to go and check out the other submissions.  There is some great food listed!

We eat a lot of broccoli in my house.  It is one of the only green foods that my husband and son will eat (and he won't eat that much).  I know we all get tired of the boring steamed broccoli so I wanted to change things up a little.  This is what I came up with.


2 cups red onions, sliced thinly
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups steamed broccoli
1 tbsp of butter
asiago cheese
Chopped parsley and basil (optional)

Add oil to a large nonstick pan over medium high heat.  Saute onions until caramelized (about 20 minutes).  Add vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add steamed broccoli and butter and cook together for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and top with cheese, parsley and basil.

6 comments:

  1. I tend to shy away from broccoli too. But prepared as delicious as this I would eat a lot! Thanks for sending another great side dish over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I'm printing this and will make it soon! We eat a ton of broccoli here too and I LOVE caramelized onions. How could this NOT be a hit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything covered in caramelized onions! What a great dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made this last night and it was awesome! We did add some garlic to jazz it up a bit. I'll be posting it next week and linking it to you. I made your peanut butter dip and will be posting that too soon, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie - Yay! Thank you for trying some of my recipes! I made some more of the peanut butter dip today and used it on a PBandJ. It was great. Thanks again, and I can't wait to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time here...saw this on Debbi's blog...it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete