Monday, March 8, 2010

Corny Dog Muffins


I have been searching for a recipe for a healthy lunchbox meal for my son that he will actually eat. Up until now, the search has been futile.  I saw this idea on Lynn's Kitchen Adventures and knew that I had to try it.  I didn't use the recipe that she used but took the idea and ran with it.  I used the recipe for the cheddar and jalepeno buttermilk cornbread I made last month.  I changed a few things to make it a little healthier. 

This recipe made 36 mini-muffins.  That's a lot of lunches and after school snacks!  I let them cool and put 4 to a baggie.  I put several baggies in the refrigerator and the rest in the freezer. 

The results: they were very tasty right out of the oven and at room temperature.  My son's comment after school was, "my lunch was really good, Mom!"  He did request some marinara sauce to dip them in next time.  I know he's gotta be happy about having an alternative to PBandJ.

Ingredients:


1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup Splenda
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese chopped in small chunks
1/4-1/2 cup jalapeno or poblano pepper finely chopped (optional)
6 hot dogs cut into bite-sized pieces (I used light turkey hotdogs)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray mini-muffin pans with nonstick spray.

2. Melt butter in microwave and stir in both sugars. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into butter and egg mixture. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Fold in cheese and peppers. Pour batter into the prepared pan (about 3/4 full). Push a hotdog piece into the batter of each cup.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
 


1 comment:

  1. My grandson is coming over, tomorrow and this would be a great treat for him.

    I hope, I have time to pull this off. Thanks for a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete