Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grilled Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken


I was inspired by Gina at Gina's WW Recipes when I saw her recipe for Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts.  I took her idea and came up with my own recipe.  I had some low-fat ricotta cheese and frozen spinach so I decided to use that.  This was the first time I stuffed chicken with anything so I was a little nervous but I was so pleased with the result. 

The weather was beautiful in Topeka today so I HAD to grill.  I am so tired of being stuck inside and smoking up the house every time I try to cook meat on the stove.  I was afraid that the filling would ooze out onto the grill but it didn't!  I pinned each one shut with some toothpicks I soaked in water for an hour or so.  I can't even tell you how excited I was about this dish!  It turned out to be the prettiest piece of chicken I have ever cooked AND quite delicious if I do say so myself.

Grilled Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken

1/2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp shallots, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
4 large chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thick
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a nonstick pan saute garlic and shallots for one minute in the olive oil.  Add chopped spinach and mix well.  Remove from heat and stir in cheese until well combined.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.

Lay out the chicken breasts and spoon a tablespoon or two of the filling onto one side of each of the chicken breasts.  Fold over the empty side of the chicken breast and pin closed with toothpicks.  Drizzle some olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle some salt and pepper on to each piece.  Grill chicken for 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through. 




3 comments:

  1. Grilled is a great way to make these in the summer! Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried stuffing chicken breasts but I end up with a huge mess and something that resembles a sea slug!
    Great job! this recipe sounds so delish. And you are a much braver person than I am....grilling them (of course with my track record, I have reason to be afraid)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to your site from Gina's and love the grilling idea as well as pounding the breasts instead of trying to slice into cutlets but how does using a whole breast and the low fat cheese change the WW PP+ total?

    ReplyDelete