Monday, March 29, 2010

Smoky Kale with Onions


I have been browsing the produce section a little more intently lately because we need to find some vegetables other than potatoes and green beans that my family will eat.  The Side Dish Showdown on Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice was perfect to help push me into finding new side dishes. 


Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event

I was inspired by Lori of Fake Free Food in the 1st challenge.  She made Smoky Sauted Kale and Mushrooms.  I had never eated kale and decided that we would try it.  I changed up the recipe some.

Result:  My ten year old and husband ate it all- so I guess they didn't hate it.  It wasn't my favorite, but I may try it again some time using some different ingredients. 

This is how I made mine:

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large bunch of kale, coarsely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
1 tbsp of smoked paprika
1/2 cup of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil and saute onions until transparent.  Add garlic and paprika and cook for one minute longer.  Slowly add the kale until it's wilted.  Stir in the chicken stock and cover.  Steam the kale for about 5 minutes.  Uncover and stir in salt and pepper.  Cook until the remaining liquid evaporates.

I have linked up this post to Food on Fridays at Ann Kroeker:Writer.  Go check out the other posts!

4 comments:

  1. That's great that your family ate this but a bummer that you didn't like it so much. It's a delicious entry for the Showdown! Thanks for sending it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale definitely has a unique texture that takes some getting used to. You can't go wrong with the smoky flavors here though. I would consider trying it with a little bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joanne. Yesterday my son asked me when I was going to make this again. I about fell over! I didn't think he liked it that much. Bacon? He loves anything with bacon so kale will be on my next grocery list for sure. I saved a little bacon grease the other day- PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed when one of my kids LIKES some of the food I prepare - kale is one of them. We never ate any food my dad didn't like growing up and he only likes corn and greenbeans.!

    ReplyDelete