Wednesday, March 31, 2010

HB in 5 Bread Braid #8



Carrot and Pecan Bread

I had read some reviews about this bread from the HB in Five group saying that it was good but don't expect a sweet bread.  Well, I wanted a sweet bread.  I changed a few things- I added some real vanilla extract, some Vietnamese cinnamon and doubled the amount of brown sugar that was listed.  I also used pecans instead of walnuts because I like pecans better.  Golden raisins were my fruit of choice.

I decided to make them into rolls.  The dough is hard to work with so I grabbed my ice cream scooper and scooped away - right into my lightly greased muffin tins. I gave each one a little egg wash and sprinkled some turbinado sugar on top and baked.



This is my absolute FAVORITE bread from this cookbook so far.  I spread a little butter on one right out of the oven and I truly wanted to eat half a pan of them.  It was 11:00 at night so I restrained myself and waited until the next morning.  These rolls (I don't know what else you would call them) were the first thing on my mind when I woke up the next day. 

I have some baking in my oven right now, as I am typing this.  My home smells heavenly!!!

Pesto and Pine Nut Bread

The next bread that I baked (although off schedule for the challenge) was the pine nut and pesto bread.  We all liked this bread a lot.  I love anything with basil so it wasn't a hard sell for me.  The dough was very hard to work with even after refrigerating it a couple days.  I had this brilliant idea to make bread sticks but they didn't quite turn out as visually appetizing as I had anticipated.  They tasted great though.  I added a little flavor by brushing some spicy garlic butter on top on top of them after baking .  YUM! 



I also made some buns for barbeque pulled pork sandwiches.  These were messy but delicious!




Avocado and Tomato Bread

One of the other breads I made for the HB in 5 Challenge was the Avocado and Tomato Bread.  I almost didn't make this because I wasn't sure that I would like it, but decided to give it a try.  I added some ingredients to the dough because I wanted some of the traditional guacamole flavors.  Cilantro, minced fresh garlic, and 1 chopped fresh jalepeno pepper (without ribs and seeds) were added to the wet ingredients. 

I made this bread into buns for some jalepeno and lime grilled chicken sandwiches.  We all loved the bread and the sandwiches were excellent!


Check out the other bread from the group Healthy Bread in Five.

11 comments:

  1. Daphne, I love the changes you made to the carrot bread. I wanted to love it but didn't. I felt that it needed more sugar than the turbinado I added to the top. I love the look of your avocado buns and the pesto breadsticks. I loved both of these recipes and will make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne, all of your breads look delicious! I love it that you tried different things with each of them. Its so fun to see what everyone does with these doughs. I think next time I might add a little more sweet to the carrot bread as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the changes you made to the guacamole bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...you've been baking a lot lately!

    Like the idea of adding pecans to the Carrot Bread and the additional Brown Sugar too!

    I think your breadsticks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. Your carrot "roll" looks delicious. That was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the additions you made to the carrot bread. I wanted a sweet bread too! I almost used pecans. I will next time.

    Your pesto and pine nut buns and avocado and tomato buns look delicious! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Busy Baker Award goes to DAPHNE! They all look wonderful, and it looks like they were well received. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great looking breads. Nice muffins and buns. And of course pecans instead of walnuts, it's Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have all three of my favorite breads in one post! How delectable they all look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your bread sticks look great. All your breads look delicious. I liked the carrot bread, too, although I wish it were a little sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Daphne,

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am really happy to have discovered yours as well. What's funny is I made carrot bread today too. Mine is just a quick bread, though. It's more like a cake. I need to pull out my HB in Five book and try some of the more interesting recipes. I tend to make their basic bread all the time rather than the variations.

    ReplyDelete