Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas


So, tonight was going to be a chicken enchilada soup night.  We have had it several times lately and I knew I needed to add something a little different to the meal.  I was browsing food blogs and came across a recipe at Two Girls and an Appetite for homemade tortillas.  They seemed easy and quick enough so I decided to give it a try.  Using my food processor instead of blending the shortening with a pastry blender made it so much easier.  I threw it all in the food processor and mixed it enough that I could work with it on a floured board.  They rolled out smoothly and cooked rather fast.  They were super tasty and I will for sure be making these again very soon. 

There was one thing about these tortillas that was not so great...I couldn't stop eating them.  Maybe my lack of self control and eating all of this yummy food I find on blogs is the reason my butt doesn't want to fit right in my pants anymore....hmmm.....

Flour Tortillas

2 Cups Flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Shortening
3/4 Cup Warm Water

Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add warm water to make medium stiff dough. Form dough into a ball and knead on floured surface until smooth.

Divide dough into 8 balls, roll into circles and place on non-greased hot pan. Cook until lightly brown with flecks on one side. Turn and cook other side.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you liked these! I can never stop eating them either :)

    ReplyDelete