Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Spicy Cilantro and Lime Potato Salad


I wanted to make a potato salad but not a traditional one.  I am not a fan of the mustard-based potato salad so, I came up with this recipe.  My son and I really liked it- my husband, not so much.  He likes the yellow potato salad and wasn't very excited about eating this green potato salad I set before him. 

I am posting this at Side Dish Showdown at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice.  Side dishes have always been a challenge for me.  I have very little creativity when it comes to side dishes and usually all of my attention goes to the protein part of my meals.  This monthly challenge has forced me to think about this important part of the meals we eat.  At least I am creating one good side dish a month.

Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event

I found the dressing recipe at For the Love of Cooking and just added to my ingredients. 

Ingredients:

3 lbs of red potatoes, diced in large chunks and steamed
1 onion, yellow or purple
2 large poblano peppers
2 jalepeno peppers
1/4 cup of sliced green onions


Dressing:
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar OR red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp oregano

For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad. 

Roast the onion and peppers under a broiler or on the grill until they are nicely charred.  The peppers should be blistered.  Put the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 15 minutes to steam them.  Take them out and peel the skin off.  Roughly chop the peppers and onions and add them to the potatoes.  Add the green onions.  Pour the dressing on the potato, onion and pepper mixture and combine well.

The salad can be eaten cold or at room temperature.


This post is also being linked to:

Finer Things Friday

What's on the Menu Wednesday @ Dining With Debbie

Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of salad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious potato salad, the dressing sounds like it really has a kick. 4th of July here you come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take hubby's share! This looks fantastic! I love the flavors! Thanks for sending it to the Showdown - I'll be posting the round-up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting idea! As much as I love the traditional potato salad, I think this would be great! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is definitely my kind of tater salad! I love vinegar-based dressings that can soak into the warm potatoey goodness. Delicious...thanks for sharing w/ Two for Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently obsessed with potatoes, and would love to try a potato salad with (yum!) chiles and (yum!) cilantro/lime. Sounds like a great breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love vinegar based potato salad. I've never seen a recipe for one with chilis and cilantro. This looks light and refreshing and oh, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer this to mustardy potato salad any day! Cilantro is a serious favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete