Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt


My son and husband get to feeling a little neglected at times because I don't buy ice creaWem often.  I thought that I we could try some frozen yogurt.  Little did I know that this stuff is EXPENSIVE!  I couldn't believe it was at least $3 for a little bucket of frozen yogurt.  Well, I am always on the lookout for new ways to use my homemade yogurt so this provided me the perfect opportunity to use a batch.  I bought an ice cream maker and made my first batch of vanilla frozen yogurt.  I wasn't sure I liked it at first because it was so tangy, but I quickly grew to love it.  I chose to just make a simple batch of vanilla, that way we could flavor it individually. 

The problem with this little treat is that we have it in our heads that it is healthy because it is yogurt.  It is, but there is still quite a bit of sugar that you add.  I have made it several ways; with all sugar, with half sugar and half Splenda and with all Splenda.  I enjoyed all of them.  I think next time I may substitute some honey for some of the sugar. 

The possibilities are endless with this new ice cream machine and all of the different flavor combinations and ingredients that I can use.  AND, at a fraction of the price it costs to buy the store bought.  I figure it costs about $3 to make 1/2 gallon of homemade frozen yogurt.   How can it be better?  I can't wait to experiment! 

3 cups of plain yogurt
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tbsp of vanilla

Mix all ingredients well until the sugar disolves.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.  Simple as that!


We like to top our frozen yogurt with a little vanilla agave nectar and fruit or mini chocolate chips.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting an ice cream maker for so long - but I'm afraid for my waistline! The yogurt sounds delicious. And I like that you can control what goes into it - no added preservative and other junk.

    ReplyDelete