Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bite-Size Red Velvet Whoopie Pies



Over the holidays I searched many recipes trying to find a cake-like red velvet cookie recipe.  I wanted to make little bite-size red velvet sandwich cookies with cream cheese icing. I tried 3 different recipes before I found the one that was exactly what I was looking for.  The first ones I tried always ended up being crisp and crunchy cookies instead of the mini-cakes I wanted.  Perseverance pays off because I found this recipe at Dinner and Dessert

Once I found the recipe, I needed to figure out how to make them bite size and cute.  Four cookie scoops later I have officially given up.  The teaspoon sized scoop that I finally broke down and bought the other day ($18) didn't work.  The batter was too wet and it just wouldn't come out of the scoop.  Talk about defeated and disgusted!  I tried using regular teaspoons and they just looked sloppy.  The final idea I had was to use a piping bag.  The mini chocolate chips I put in the batter wouldn't go through the Wilton tips I had so I just snipped off the end of the bag.  Worked like a charm! 




So now I have to find a use for the $18 scooper that I bought.  I don't think that will be too hard. 




They turned out adorable and delicious!  The cookies come out of the oven rather crisp but I have found that the day after they take on more of the cake-like consistency that I was looking for. 

We had a covered dish luncheon at school and the theme was "red food". I am guessing due to Valentine's day coming up. This was the reason I had been looking for to make these once again.

Here are the ones I made at Christmas time.  They were very festive.



No comments:

Post a Comment