Saturday, January 23, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars






As I have mentioned before, we are trying to eat healthier in our home.  I have been looking for ways to include more whole grains into our diet.  I saw this recipe for homemade granola bars at Our Krazy Kitchen and decided to give it a try.  One of the reasons I loved this recipe is that it was simple.  I can adjust the recipe any way I like. 

I didn't think my son would like it especially since I included craisins, but he did.  The one thing I am going to change the next time I make this will be to use nonfat sweetened condensed milk.  I want to lower the fat that the first batch had.  I'm not sure if it will work or not, but I think it will be worth the try.  I also bought some dried blueberries today that I will trade for the craisins. I'll let you know how it goes!  I am excited about experimenting with this recipe. 

Update***  The blueberries were very sweet and perfect with the chopped cocoa roasted almonds I used in my second batch.  What to try next....hmmmmm......

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
3 cups oats
1 can condensed milk
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons melted butter
2 teaspoons honey


Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray, mix all ingredients well and pour into pan, press flat and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Flip upside down on parchment paper, let cool for 5 minutes, cut.

3 comments:

  1. Well I tried this tonight but I did something different? when I put in the mini chips it melted into everything. It tastes okay but yours were better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like yours better than mine. I think I will melt the chocolate next time, too. There was a stronger and more even chocolate taste throughout your bar. I'm glad you like the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked the recipe. I've been making it at least once a week, maybe more. Oh and I switched to the fat free condensed milk, it works just fine too! I've also deleted the honey and butter - it's sweet enough without the honey and tI didn't see that the butter made any difference at all.

    My boys like them best with just chocolate chips and peanuts. I prefer mine with lots of almonds, crasins and extra flax for the health benefits. Hubby likes them no matter what I put in and I have eveyone at work making then now too. They really are yummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete