Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Chili




I found this recipe on A Year of Slow Cooking and instantly knew that it would be in my crockpot in the very near future.  It looked very simple and included common items that I usually have in my pantry.  My crockpot has been used quite frequently lately...not always with great success.  Somehow, the meat I cook tends to be super dry.  The porkchops I cooked last week, I swear, tasted like soy sauce flavored sawdust.  It was awful!  I feel like I am on a losing streak with my crockpot and hoping that this recipe will cause it to end once and for all.  Of course, I won't blame the recipe if it doesn't turn out moist and luscious... because obviously, there is some user error here.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.  Cooking it too long....Not putting enough liquid..... I don't know! 
Ten minutes is all it took to mix this up last night.  I threw it all together in the pot and put it in the fridge so it would be all ready to go this morning.  I'm thinking that there is no way the chicken can turn out dry.  There is so much liquid from the enchilada sauce and canned tomatoes that surely.......!  We'll see when we get home today. 

Verdict:
We loved the chili! It was so nice to have a meal ready when we got home.  I only wish I would have had more time to make some corn bread.  That would have made the perfect meal.  I think next time I will also add more spice to it through either more chili powder or the medium enchilada sauce (I used mild). 

These are the tomatoes that I used- they're the only ones I had in my pantry.  I also used black beans instead, because I had some frozen ones that I had made a couple weeks ago.  YUM!  Thank you Stephanie for a great recipe!





Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds chicken (boneless & skinless, OR fish out the bones and skin after about 4 hours)
1 1/2 cups prepared enchilada sauce (read labels carefully if avoiding gluten)
2 chopped celery stalks
2 (14.5 oz) cans tomatoes with seasoning (your choice: I had garlic and olive oil on hand)
2 (15 oz) cans pinto or kidney beans, undrained (or 1 cup dried pinto beans, soaked overnight)
1 onion, diced (or 1 tablespoon dried, minced onion flakes)
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin



The Directions:

Pour enchilada sauce and canned tomatoes into the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. Add beans, celery, onion and spices. Stir to combine. Place chicken on top.

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until flavors have combined. If you are using dried beans, you may need to cook longer to fully soften the beans. Since I was using the chicken quarters I got on sale, I fished out the chicken after about 4 hours, and removed the bones. I then stirred the chicken back into the pot.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment