Friday, February 12, 2010

Blue Cheese and Walnut Roasted Potatoes


I picked up a small piece of Maytag blue cheese at the store the other day and have been looking for a recipe to inspire me.  The inspiration came to me from my newest cookbook, Flat Belly Diet Cookbook.



There are so many recipes that I want to try in this cookbook.  They are all healthy and look so yummy!  I also like that it gives all of the nutritional information for each recipe.

I cook roasted potatoes all the time and it gets a little old so I was excited to try this version.  They turned out quite tasty but I think I put too much blue cheese.  My ten-year-old couldn't eat it because the cheese was too strong.  It was definitely a keeper recipe, but I think I may try it with feta next time. 


Ingredients:

1 pound thin-skinned baby potatoes, halved
1-1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Coat a 9"X9" baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.  Place the potatoes in the prepared dish and toss with the oil, pepper and salt.  Turn cut side down in the pan.  Roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until very tender and lightly golden on the underside.

2.  Meanwhile, put the walnuts in a small baking pan or skillet and place in the oven to toast for 6-8 minutes.  Tip into a bowl and let cool.  Add the blue cheese and scallions and crumble with your fingers.

3.  When the potatoes are done, turn them over and sprinkle evenly with the walnut mixture.  Bake for 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment