Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cheddar and Potato Breakfast Bake



I wanted something to go along with my creme brulee French toast so I tried this recipe out of the new Bisquick Recipe Card book I found at the grocery store.  You know these great little books they have by the check-out.  I have a rather large collection of them and do actually try some of the recipes sometimes. 



Click here if you can't find it at your local grocery store.

We really liked this recipe.  It is rather healthy if you use the Bisquick Heart Smart Mix (which I didn't because I didn't have any).  It makes a very large casserole so I cut some into squares and put some of them in the freezer in individual baggies.  It also is very tasty in a whole wheat tortilla for breakfast.  I'm wondering if you can make this recipe using other types of baking mixes because I would like to try it with a whole grain baking mix.  What do you think?  Let me know if you try it. 



Ingredients:

4 cups frozen potatoes with onions and peppers, thawed
1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
5 slices of Canadian Bacon chopped
1 cup Bisquick Heart Smart mix
3 cups fat-free (skim) milk
1 cup fat-free egg product
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray 13x9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.  In medium bowl, mix uncooked potatoes, 1 cup of the cheese and the bacon.  Spread in baking dish.

In same bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, egg product and pepper until blended.  Pour over potato mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown around edges, the center is set and the cheese is melted.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment