Friday, February 26, 2010

Chicken, Brie, Onion and Roasted Poblano Pannini



I'm not a big fan of sandwiches.  I think I ate so many of them as a child that I just don't want them anymore.  I will eat a good hot sandwich occasionally, though.  When I saw this recipe for Steak, Roasted Pasilla Pepper, and Sharp Cheddar Cheese Panini  at For the Love of Cooking, I knew I needed to try this sandwich.  Poblano and jalapeno peppers have become favorites of mine.  They aren't too spicy (without the seeds and ribs) and have wonderful flavor.  I've decided that I need to try some different types of peppers and experiment.  I'm not sure which one to try next, though.  Any ideas?

I had some leftover chicken breast leftover from dinner the previous night, so I used that instead of steak.  I also used brie instead of cheddar and added some carmelized onions.  I skimped on the peppers because I was afraid it was going to be too spicy.  I wish I hadn't.  Next time, more peppers will be piled on! 

Per sandwich:

cooked chicken cut into thin strips
2 slices of whole wheat sour dough bread
poblano peppers, roasted
brie
Mayonnaise
Hot Sauce


Roast the peppers:

Clean the poblano peppers and carefully slit them down the center. Gently remove the seeds from the inside of the pepper. Line a baking sheet with tin foil then place the pepper on top.  Broil until peppers are blackened on all sides. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let cool for 10 minutes. Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the blackened skin and stem gently. Slice into strips.


Prepare the sandwich:

Preheat your panini grill or a large skillet over medium heat. Mix a few tablespoons of mayonnaise with a few teaspoons of hot sauce; taste and add more hot sauce if desired.

Spread the mayonnaise mixture on each slice of bread. Next add the slices of chicken then roasted poblano peppers and finally the brie; top the sandwich with the other slice of bread and place on the panini maker then cook for 5 minutes.

If you are using a skillet, cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until it's golden brown. Place a heavy pan on top of your sandwich so it presses and smooshes it a little.  Slice and serve with extra mayonnaise sauce on the side.


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you tried the sandwich - yours looks amazing. Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site.

    ReplyDelete