Monday, February 8, 2010

Mongolian Pork



This recipe comes from Culinary in the Desert.  It was super easy and quite delicious.  I knew that I was going to have a limited amount of time to cook dinner the next night and I was determined to cook this recipe so I mixed the sauce ingredients (minus the constarch) together and put it in the refrigerator overnight. The next evening, I cooked the meat for a few minutes and dumped the sauce in.  It was finished in less than ten minutes.  Cooking the rice was the most time consuming part of this recipe due to my prep work the night before.  

The recipe was originally for mongolian beef, but I didn't have any.  I have stocked my freezer with pork loin so chose to slice it into strips and use it instead.  I doubled the sauce recipe and I'm not sure I needed to.  It turned out pretty rich and salty so I think I will adjust the amount of soy sauce next time and not double the recipe. 

I had dinner made in 20 minutes.  This is a perfect meal for those busy weeknights, especially if you do a little of the prep work ahead of time. 


 
Mongolian Pork
(adapted from Cooking Light)

4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
16 ounces (1 pound) sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 to 6 green onions, sliced into 2" pieces


In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, sherry, hoisin, vinegar, chile paste and salt.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Stir in beef, garlic and ginger - cook until beef is browned, stirring to crumble, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in green onions - cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in soy mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.

Serve over hot cooked rice or noodles.

Makes about 4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to say thanks here, as I made this recipe yesterday and it was delicious. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for trying it! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete